Thursday, January 26, 2012

Who's Talking Now?

Remember when a few years ago everyone would make a statement and then say “Not!” after it? Like, “I just won a million dollars! Not!” or “I really like those jeans! Not!”
Well, I think when it comes to fear, God’s encouragement to us is Fear? Not!
Fear is the proverbial rain on the parade of faith.
And nothing busts a faith filled balloon quicker than a fiery dart of fear.
Joshua and the next gen. Israel were poised on the border of the land of Canaan, ready to conquer all that God had promised them some 500 years prior, in His promise to Abraham. 
Besides disobeying God, the only thing that could really stop them from moving forward and possessing all that the Lord had for them was fear.
Fear of the enemy that had to be conquered.
Fear of the fight. This land was taken through many battles, one city at a time. 
And lastly, fear of the people. The people he was leading and in company with.
Not that unlike us.
The good news is that Jesus has conquered our enemy, the devil and his spiritual army of darkness. They no longer can have dominion over those of us who cling to the cross.
“And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.” 
Colossians 2:13-15
As a defeated foe, his strategy against those that are now in the kingdom of light is to hinder our spiritual progress through such weapons as doubt, discouragement and fear.
Everyone has to face these enemies at one time or another in their lives. And they don’t place nice.
Doubt and discouragement are bully’s of the grandest sort! Like the mean girl in school that caused havoc, chaos and drama wherever she went....and she liked it! In fact, she fed off of it! Growing more and more full of herself with each wave of her tumult.
These enemies are bent on your destruction. 
They want to wipe you out spiritually by making you weak and introspective. 
Causing you to want run away from the battle.

Yes, Fear and her friends come to your front door bringing dark clouds of despair and self pity that threaten to hide the face of the One, Who has promised to never leave you and Who loves you unfailingly.
So what do we do to clear away the clouds?
We run all right.
We run to the One whose very Name is a fortress against the enemy. Speak it! Shout it! ”Jesus!”
We hide indeed, We hide in Him. Through prayer and clinging to the truths in His Word.
We proclaim loudly and boldly our own weakness signaling utter dependence in the One, Who is mighty to save and whose power and strength are made perfect in weakness.
We learn to listen and move to the sound of His voice alone.
Though often very well meaning, some can hold us back, “What? You can’t do that!”
Or push us too fast. “Go, Go, Go!”
EIther way, the results are battle fatigue and defeat, for we are fighting in our own strength.
And we lift our eyes off of ourselves and get them firmly onto Him.
As Keith Green said,  “It’s so hard to see when my eyes are on me.”
(True, and a rather boring landscape at that!)
Fear will come.
Courage is looking that bully “fear”, straight in the eyes knowing that Jesus is standing right behind you.
Then,  we can truly say Fear?...... Not!
Psalm 31:1-5
In You, O LORD, I put my trust;
Let me never be ashamed;
Deliver me in Your righteousness.
Bow down Your ear to me,
Deliver me speedily;
Be my rock of refuge,
A fortress of defense to save me.
For You are my rock and my fortress;
Therefore, for Your name’s sake,
Lead me and guide me.
Pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me,
For You are my strength.
Into Your hand I commit my spirit;
You have redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.
Loving the lyrics to this song..
Check it out!
“Battle” by Chris August

5 comments:

  1. Our prayers are always with you and your family. Thank you for you blog, you are an inspiration to us all. I wish I could put it into the right words but, Our Lord KNOWS !

    FROG
    Fully Rely On God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. Nail fear and introspection to the cross. The whole key is to keep our eyes on the Lord. I agree - self "is a boring landscape."

    Press on. Press on my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I do recognize that our Christian life is a battle. I do not know how much you and the Women's Ministries women encouraged me in my battle to continue looking up with the "Warrior Princess" bracelet with Joshua 1:9 on it. I have been fighting with the trials God has placed in my life, feeling the refining process that He is using on me. I actually praise Him for this process as I am walking more sweetly with Him.

    I was so psyched when you announced our gift of a bracelet and could not get one on my wrist fast enough. I have been practicing "Be Strong and of Good Courage," for what seems like forever. Your gift gave me a launch--thanks for the extreme focus of looking up at Jesus. I love the song the "Battle," proclaiming "The war is already won," "Jesus' work is finished," and "I'm not giving up now," as I am a Warrior Princess for Christ.

    I ask for prayer for healing of a small brain tumor that was found incidentally on an MRI of the head in August 2010. Nothing is incidental with the Lord. I believe I have not feared this finding because many of the women of the women's ministries and my friends have been praying for me, and I believe that is why I am able to focus on the other trials of my life and not worrying about a tiny brain tumor.

    I believe in the power of prayer. I believe that God allowed the tumor to be found as a trial for me to trust in Him and not be concerned with it. It has remained the same size as several MRIs. I really do not think about it until it is MRI time or if someone asks me about it. I believe that God is my Jehovah Rapha, The Lord who heals. I have recently gone for healing after church service and believe in the following verses and believe with all my heart, soul, and mind that God can heal this mass. I have no complications from it. I ask for prayer for healing because my desire is to be able to tell the world that my God is mighty, My God hears our prayers, and My God is faithful to care about little me and heal me. I give Him all the glory for keeping me in perfect peace with this tumor. I desire to give Him all the glory when I can tell all the prayers warriors who have prayed for me over the last 1/2 years that God healed my tumor as He faithfully healed my marriage and faithfully healed my right leg and balance problem. He is my God of healing and I have watched what He can do in my life. I want to share His mighty faithful and almighty power with the world, especially those who do not know Him. I so want to be used by God for His glory. There are so many hurting people that need encouragement that there is a God who cares and is ready to listen and save.

    Continuing to stand with you, Lisa, as we serve a God who wants the best for us. I am ready to accept whatever His will is. Praying for you and Robert and your family.


    Paul says in 1 John 5:13-15:
    "[13] These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may [continue to] believe in the name of the Son of God. [14] Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. [15] And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him." - 1 John 5:13-15 NKJV

    Jesus says in Mark 11:23-24:
    "[23] "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. [24] "Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive [them], and you will have [them]." - Mark 11:23-24 NKJV

    Praising Him,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Today, Monday, I had an MRI of my small brain tumor with results in 3-5 days. I believe that because of the praying Warrior Princesses and other dear saints, for the last 1 1/2 years I have experienced the "peace of God that surpasses all understanding and that has guarded my heart and mind in Christ Jesus." Prayer truly has helped me to continue in the battle.

    Praising Him,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lisa,
    This is JoAnn we talked briefly last night. Today the cardiologist sent me to have a CT scan with contrast because he suspects I have a pulmonary embolism ( layman terms ) blood clot in the lung. Ct scan could not be done today because I am allergic to the contrast so have to pre medicate tonight and the scan will be at 8 a.m. Tomorrow. Just an FYI, so we can pray for each other. It was so good to finally get to speak with you, always remember you are a blessing to so many of us. Love, JoAnn

    ReplyDelete