Monday, January 9, 2012

Hungry?

WIth the New Year often comes new resolve to eat healthier. In fact, the number one resolution is to lose weight. 
So, ok.... how many of you are hating that decision right about now and having day dreams of junk food? 
After all, it has been a week!
But how many of you even in a week’s time of ingesting more nutrient rich foods are already seeing and feeling a positive difference?
God’s Word is likened to food.
For some, the BIble may seem sour or restrictive, like trying to follow a diet of only wheatgrass and kale. (bitter!)
But, just like a balanced diet of healthy food will eventual curb (most) of our appetite for junk food, as we consistently feed on God’s Word, the junk that we have been feeding our hearts, minds and souls becomes less appealing. For, we find our spiritual cravings truly satisfied.
In Psalm 119:103, a fellow Biblical culinary student exclaims:
How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Simply ...Delicious!
I have found that we can get really hung up on just how to get God’s Word into our lives.
We set time limits, chapter amounts and so on, approaching it somewhat like a diet plan: “Just make sure you get those 5 fruits and veggies in no matter what!”
But the goal of reading the Bible is knowing Jesus.
Listen to His words to the religious ones of His day
“But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.” John 5:39-39
Searching the Scriptures is great! Digging deep into the goldmine of God’s Word is time well spent.
But if we are doing it just to check it off our list or gain intellectual knowledge, we will surely become spiritually malnourished.
Here’s a process to ensure absorption of all the life-giving nutrients found in His Word.
Firstly, the Bible is a spiritual book. We cannot understand what is spiritually inspired unless we pray for the Holy Spirit to illuminate the text for us. So before beginning, pray  and ask Him to open your spiritual eyes, every time you approach the Word.
1.Read it - Get it into your head and heart by taking time to ingest it verse by verse, chapter by chapter and book by book. If you are an audio learner, you can listen to it being read. Audio Bible is available online at http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/
I love reading the Bible in historical order. If that interests you, you can do so by choosing a chronological study Bible.
2.Understand it -This happens as we chew on His word by prayerfully thinking about it over and over. I believe that understanding what we are reading is more important than than how much we read. If you are new to the Bible, try reading a portion, beginning with the book of John,  just until you grasp a truth,  Be careful though, this will only whet your appetite for understanding more. God’s Word is addictive!
3.Obey it -After we understand the principles and promises we discover, we exercise our faith by choosing to apply them to our specific situations. As a result, our relationship with God grows closer for we experience His faithfulness to His Word in our very own lives.
Eating a balance diet is important for physical health. Consistently skipping meals weakens our bodies. How much greater to have steady diet of God’s eternal Word which strengthens us for all of life’s challenges!
Dig in today! You won’t be left hungry.
"I have not departed from the commandment of His lips;
I have treasured the words of His mouth
More than my necessary food. " Job 23;12

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa Furrow, I disappear into the Bible when I read and when I go about chores of the day sometimes it's a disappointment to deal with life. Thanks for the encouragement...funny your husband when on radio and TV Sundays encouraged me...now it's your turn =].

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I have been under spiritual attack by the enemy. I have made an attempt to memorize scripture to build up by spiritual arsenal along with the Armor of the Lord. My brain has mental struggles already, and with the help of the Holy Spirit I am memorizing scriptures very slowly: key words, "I AM." My latest is so delicious and makes me feel like "OH, THAT SO HIT THE SPOT." Jeremiah 15:16, "Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart." When the enemy has been attacking me recently, I quote that verse and then hit him with another verse that I have previously memorized. I know the enemy hates scripture, so I hit him with a double dose. This blog is so nourishing as I read it. Thank you, Lisa. Praising Him, Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - I like to pray this scripture when I read God's Word. "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." (Psalm 119:18) I know "my flesh" impairs me from seeing things rightly. The Word explains why - right? "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14) This discernment comes from spending time abiding in His Word. I so agree that Bible reading is meant to be quality time. We want to see the transformative operation of the Holy Spirit conforming us to people God can use. I could go on but I won't it. :-) Anyway - good reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. For the ambitious I recommend www.biblein90days.org. You readwhile u listen at the same time...and u get thru the entire bible in 90 days. A group of us did it last year and it was truly life changing for some. This month we started a program of reading the new testament in 30 days. Happy to send anyone the schedule.

    ReplyDelete