Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Staying in Your Lane

A couple of days ago I decided to take advantage of our amazing weather (75 degrees in January, really?!) and go for a walk. I found a high school football field with a track surrounding it that looked somewhat daunting; but nevertheless curiously beckoned me, so I pushed through the turnstile and set off around the track.
As I began to walk, I noticed that lanes had been carefully created by strong white lines to contrast against the black-gray asphalt. Each lane was given a number ranging from 1-8. Number one was closest to the field, while number eight was on the outer perimeter.
I imagined that if I was a runner I would want number 1, the inside track, because it seemed that tighter turns and less distractions would make it easier to cross the finish line first!
The Christian life is likened to a race. But unlike a earthly footrace, we are not competing against anyone else to finish first.
Jesus emphasized the importance of keeping our eyes on Him instead of others as we make it down life’s path, a few days after His resurrection from the dead.
On the shores of the sea of Galilee that bright morning, Peter was just getting his footing back after his denial of the Lord, when he was reunited with and recommissioned by Jesus.
As together, they began making their way down the beach, the text says:
“Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.(John 21:20-22)
Peter was concerned about what John was going to do, but Jesus redirects Peter,  by basically telling him: ”leave the details of John’s life to Me. You, just focus on following Me, Peter.”
It can be easy to get distracted by others as we set out to follow Jesus, especially if we are unclear as to what lane we are to run in.
God has given each of us gifts, talents, abilities and even seeming disabilities that create a unique racetrack, perfectly marked out for us according to our Coach’s will.
We only create stumbling blocks and setbacks for ourselves and possibly others, when we try to run in someone else’s shoes.
Paul tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:12 that those who compare themselves to others are unwise.
And in the very next verse he elaborates with this statement:
“We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us- a sphere which especially includes you . ( 2 Cor 10:13)
We each have a specific, God designed sphere of influence.
So, what has God called you to do? Where has He called you to go today? Who has He placed in your path?
Whether it’s working in or out of the home, going on a missions trip or a trip to the local grocery store, though you may not feel like it, as you are faithfully running your race with Jesus, He is using you to impact those He has strategically placed around you in the arena of life.
On that day, when you reach the finish line,.... you’ll see.
But today, don’t trip by looking at someone who might appear to be running more swiftly or gracefully than you are
.
Stay in your lane by using all you have been given, with all your heart to build the Kingdom of God.
And run for His glory by keeping your eyes on Jesus.-That’s the inside track!
“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2
  • As for me, I am continuing to take the medication daily. Many of the side effects have alleviated. Praise God! I will see the doctor again on January 16th. I’ll keep you updated, and as always appreciate your prayers,
*As we continue on this race of faith together, I’ll keep sharing my thoughts, as the Lord allows, through this blog. -
Waiting for Jesus, 
Lisa

7 comments:

  1. I too, have decided to take advantage of this beautiful weather and with cane in hand have started to take short walks! However yesterday, I started to put the Christmas decorations away while listening to Christian music on Direct TV. A song came on that really made me think of you, it is not the upbeat praise music of today, but it was entitled "The Shepherd's Point of View". It talked about our valley experiences and when we get through them and stand on the mountain with our Shepherd, He will explain our valley experiences and what He kept us really from during that time. I continue to pray always for you upon every remembrance of you, enjoy our beautiful sunshine and the good days you are experiencing. The 16th of January is when I also return to my surgeon, so I will certainly pray for you that day, that the good news will continue and that you will be able to continue to bless us all with your blog, it has been a real inspiration to me personally, so thank you Lisa for who you are in Christ. Love, JoAnn Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa, just pondering life today...My husband took his last chemo treatment yesterday and Dr's have pronounced him cancer free, a closer walk with God for a year =]. I am happy that this experience is over with for him but I know many trials and tribs to go. I could give you encouraging scripture but the one in my inbox was TODAY'S ENCOURAGING WORD - 1/5/2012

    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.
    --Proverbs 3:5, NLT

    It's really hard not to wish...still waiting for my door to open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy that you are responding to the treatment! We will continue to pray for you! Love Doug and Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Lisa. We will not let the enemy distract of discourage us from keeping focused on how God wants to use us through this trial. Will contact you soon. So glad you continue to respond well to treatment!
    Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proverbs 4:10-18 "Hear, my son, and receive my sayings, and the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in right paths. When you walk your steps will not be hindered. And when you run, you will not stumble. Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; Keep her, for she is your life. Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on. For they do not sleep unless they have done evil; and their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. BUT THE PATH OF THE JUST IS LIKE THE SHINING SUN, THAT SHINES EVER BRIGHTER UNTO THE PERFECT DAY!" Keep your eyes fixed on the prize...the Author and Finisher of your faith is at work! Love, Cathy T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord uses your words today to touch my heart and to affirm to keep doing what I am doing. I have read this blog for today several times, pondering on it each time. I am so thankful that our Precious Lord is healing you and your symptoms are starting to be alleviated. John and I continue to pray for you and your family and rejoice when we hear good news along your journey.

    In your blog today, I relate the “strong white lines” to the Holy Spirit. I see myself in this race moving forward trying to continue to focus on JESUS. In June 2011 God clearly spoke to me and it excites me to see where He is leading me. In my race I am leaning on, 1 Thes. 5:21, “Test all things; hold fast what is good.” Proverbs 3: 5-6 is such a well-known verse and so applicable to me on this journey: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

    I desire to stay in God's will as He directs. When I stay in the “strong white lines,” I am at peace as I wait for God's direction. I am thankful that the Holy Spirit will signal me when I start to step on the line or start crossing the line to get back on track in MY race. Please pray for me to stay close to my Lord so that I may hear from Him and obey.

    Your blog is a treasure to my heart. It is encouraging to me in my walk. You and Robert are on our minds and in our prayers. Thank you so much for sharing what the Lord lies on your heart. It really makes me think about how to apply it to my life to have a closer walk with my Lord. Praising Him, Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very profound for me as i sometimes let the actions of others get in the way of my race.I worry to much about how others are probably better christian than myself.I need to focus more on my own relationship and my own race..Thank you lisa.As always you continue to inspire me.I praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete