Saturday, May 19, 2012

This Might Hurt a Little


Ever have a sticker (or as my granddaughter calls them a “pokey”) get embedded in your skin?
Those of us living in the Sonoran desert have more then likely been stuck with our share of these sneaky little barbs. One minute you are walking along unsuspectingly and then, “ouch!” Crossing paths with a cactus quickly gets your attention and sends you on a search for the instrument of choice: the tweezers. 
Over the years, I have dug these thorns out of more then a few places on myself and my kids.
Sometimes though, one of these prickles will be just far enough beneath the surface of the skin that you can’t get to it. Though you may initially feel it’s snag, in a day or two that sensitivity disappears and you think your battle with the brier is behind you. 
But, in reality an altogether different story is being developed in the microscopic world or your cells.
Your body has been designed to really hate intruders. (a good thing). When attacked, it rallies its defenses to get rid of the bad guys. In order to ward off further tissue damage, a protective shell begins to develop around the foreign object.
However, if more time passes and this hardened core of sticker and membranes are not removed, infection will eventually set in.
The symptoms of infection are painful. Designed to get your attention. Inflammation swelling, tenderness, all signify the existence of the visible sign of infection: pus ( sorry, there is just no other word for it) Just saying it is gross, as it is a word that sounds like what it is. An oozing sickly liquid.
When your’e at this point, all you can think of is getting rid of it..quickly!
No longer can you ignore it’s presence and sometimes medical intervention is necessary to lance the area and allow the wound to drain.  And drain it will-sometimes for what seems like forever until the initial intruder and its protective layers of calloused skin are removed.
Then, an amazing thing happens. As soon as that core is out, healing begins to take place: pain begins to subside, the wound begins to close and angry red skin returns to it’s natural color. Truly we are fearfully and wonderfully made; for, our wise and loving Creator has built this mechanism of healing into our bodies.
Bitterness is like this.
A thorn in the form of a painful event, a sharp word or a misdirected deed stabs our heart and we are left wounded.
Not every strike against our soul ends in an infection of the spirit, but those left to fester will. Pain in inevitable in this world, but bitterness is a disease of choice.
Like the process that occurs in our physical bodies when a splinter deeply pierces our flesh, if we try to deal with the offense by ignoring the real issue and dealing only with the surface ones, we will eventually have a mess on our hands.
The pain will be so crushing that it will be all we think about. Coloring every word thought and action with it’s poison.
The symptoms of bitterness cannot be concealed, for It begins to effect everything and everyone we encounter.
We begin to snap at people.
We suspect other’s motives.
We say certain people’s names with a venomous tone and have a twinge in our gut when they are spoken of.
Perhaps most damaging.... we kill joy.
We must deal with the core to get relief: Why are we so bitter?
We didn’t get what we wanted, in life or in a relationship.
Someone else got what they (and you) wanted.
Another didn’t do what we expected or did something unexpected.
These are real issues. Serious sore spots. It’s the world that offers you the bandaid of advice, “Toughen up and get over it!” -Worthless medicine for curing bitterness. 
Our Savior on the other hand, sees and understands each painful point and offers you healing balm, paid for with His own pierced palms.
Let The Great Physician get out His tweezers and remove the splinters from your heart.
You enemy loves to have you live in a vague feeling of misery. Lance the wound by talking to Your Father specifically and honestly about what really happened and how it has affected you.
As you do, you will begin begin to see the bane of bitterness flow away from your spirit.
Disappointment, jealousy and their ugly stepsisters will flee as the defense system you have built with stones of self-protection is shattered. With just the right amount of pressure, He touches you with His unconditional love, soothes you with His promises of protection and empowers you with the strength of forgiveness releasing you from from the burden of bitterness  Ahhhh relief.
Perhaps a scar will remain from your struggle with the splinters of strife, but it will only serve as a future a reminder of the fact that the Lord has visited you and removed the sticker. You are free.
“Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.” Colossians 3:12-15
Enjoy the song of the day!
The end is the best part, I encourage you to listen all the way through!
Yay!!
I AM FREE!
Newsboys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MbcYyOsF50

3 comments:

  1. "This might hurt a little," but it very well might hurt a lot! But,embrace that pain, press out that poison, bandage that wound, soften it with oil & the balm of Gilead will heal you! (Isa. 1:5-6). Praying, always! Hoping you are well! Love, Cathy T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa Furrow just came by to read and learn........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful to my Lord for what I call MY "season of calm." I do not know how long it will last, but I do KNOW that my Lord is right beside me always taking me to amazing experiences I would have never known if it was not for the "pokeys" in my life. My husband and I were on the patio the other night, and I was sharing my heart's rejoicing through tears over all God has been to us (Jehovah jirah, Jehovah rapha and many more) through all the hard times and all the good times. I shared that I am the closest that I have ever been with the Lord. John and I have persevered for years, and we are reaping a harvest of answered prayers. Since I shared my heart with John, I believe that I have been under the attack of the enemy--this really is no surprise. I became ill--nothing major, just a hassling--and after several ER visits and doctor visits, the diagnosis is being narrowed down; and I am feeling better at the point of this writing. What is so incredibly awesome is that through all this commotion going on in my body and feeling poorly and not knowing the answers, I have a tremendous peace that the Great Physician knows my situation and an answer will be revealed when the time is right. A precious saint at Calvary called me today, and we were in agreement that it sounds like an attack by the enemy. She said, "Let's pray." What is so amazing is how awesome God is because each day of going through this trial, I have a God opportunity to share with ones I pray for about how God is in control. Illness gives great opportunity for people to listen when otherwise they might not. I see God's hand on my life, and through this trial I not only have the "peace that surpasses all understanding" but also I am content to wait on God. I see His working behind the scenes in areas of where I have prayed for results for a long time; and because of this current trial, I am seeing His leading because of my prayers. I liken it to a Mr. Lincoln rose in my garden that always blooms beautifully with amazing fragrance. Getting the rose from the garden to a vase in the house usually comes with some pain (from the "pokey" of the thorns). The "pokey" is temporary, but what the Master's Hand does with the beautifully bloomed, fragrant rose is eternal. Two verses I own: 1) Phil 4:6-7, "Be anxious for nothing but let everything by prayer and supplications, with thanksgiving,let your requests be known to God, and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." and 2) Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to those that love God, to those that are called according to His purpose." Great promises to stand on in my current season of calm.

    I continue to remember you and your family in prayer, and with a thankful heart I praise God for the healing upon your body and lives touched by your sharing your trials.

    Praising Him, Toni

    ReplyDelete