Sunday, May 6, 2012

Help!


I've always loved the account of Peter walking on the water to Jesus.
Bolstering his faith, Peter steps out to follow in his friend and Master’s footprints, only to find himself sinking beneath the waves that surround him just moments later.
Life can feel like that, can’t it?
One minute we are riding the waves of faith in the light of the face of God and then suddenly, as if out of nowhere, a flood of disappointment, distress or disease crashes around us, threatening to hide His beautiful face and our hope begins to drown. 
Now you may think, “why do you love this account, Lisa?..I mean, Peter is failing!!!”
Ok. But, while this picture of Peter paints a portrait of a plunging person, it also reveals  the strength of our Savior.
For, it’s in turbulent times that we become ever aware of our frailty. Just like Peter, we realize that the only thing that was ever really holding us up was Jesus.
Hebrews 1:3 says that He is “upholding all things by the word of His power.”
All things. This vast universe. This gigantic galaxy. This immense earth. And your life.
The greatness of our God is recognizable to those who know they are not.
Peter, rapidly succumbing to shipwreck, cries out the three words that define who we really are and who Jesus really is, “But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me! Matt. 14:30
He is God
I am desperately in need of someone to save me
He is willing and able to stretch out His arm and rescue us
“..And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him.” Matt.14:31
This is the heart of our God. To save all who call upon His name.
To show Himself strong on their behalf.
Psalm 46:1-3 says:
“God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.” 
Whatever winds or waves may be rocking your boat today, consider that only fear and doubt are terminal.
By reaching out and taking hold of His hand in faith, we can experience the power and presence of the only One who can truly calm the storms of life.
“Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth;
That Your beloved may be delivered, save with Your right hand, and hear me.”
Psalm 108 5-6

3 comments:

  1. The Lord gave you this message just for me, you know? I was up all night last night & right now tears are running down my face after reading this. I went to a funeral last week for someone I have known since I was 10. She committed suicide. She was a mother, grandmother, wife, friend of many, seemingly happy and well. I will spare you the horrific details of how she ended her life...but, she did know the Lord. I have been troubled all week over how someone becomes so desperate as to end the precious life God has given them...I have wondered what keeps someone from crying out...from screaming at the top of their lungs if necessary..."HELP ME!" "Lord, save me." I have been thinking all day how from the moment we are born, death is stalking us; Not just through the things of the world, or the devil, but even those things in our own soul contrary to life...and the life of CHRIST IN US THE HOPE OF GLORY! I want to tell everyone I have ever known, YOU & YOUR LIFE are precious, unique, valued in the eyes of God, purchased at great cost to Him for eternity...embrace the life God has given you and don't ever let go of it or snuff it out by your own hand. Shun death with every thing that's in you...death is inevitable; you will meet it soon enough on the day of God's appointment. If you slip, or feel yourself sinking, call out for HELP and let GOD lift you up! I so love it when you hear so clearly from the Lord, Lisa! Praying for you still...Cathy T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus is immediately available as I call out to Him. He is faithful to me to hear my plea, strengthen me, guide me, and comfort me. I am forever grateful for the season of calm--whatever the amount of time--in between each trial. Thank you for the reminder, Lisa. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
    Phil 3:14 Praying for you and your family. Toni

    ReplyDelete