Saturday, March 31, 2012

Close Call


If I were to ask you, “how do you think God feels about you right now?”
What would your first response be?
There are times when we sense God’s presence and are overwhelmed by His great love for us. There are other times when we walk in that reality, step by step by faith alone
Oftentimes. in romantic relationships people believe it’s ”over” when “the feelings just aren’t there anymore.”  
In our relationship with Jesus, it’s just the opposite. In fact, I would venture to say that most of us (please don’t leave me out here on this one alone!) don’t always feel the depth of God’s love for us personally. Yet, no truth could be more real, more sincere or more powerful than the Father’s love for us which He proved by giving His only Son to die so that we could know true love.
“By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us.” 1 John 3:16
I think what God wants for us is to KNOW His love for us.
Knowing far surpasses momentary feelings. It is solid and unshakable. Concrete reality.
Just look at how many “knows” there are in this passage that describes the distinctivenesss of the love His children experience.
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.” 1 John 3:1-2
Do you KNOW how much the Father loves YOU today?
He sees every cry of your aching heart.
He knows the discouragement you feel when you try again (and again) and fail. 
He rejoices in your grandest triumphs and simple joys.
But best of all...He loves you. Right now.
I don’t know why we sometimes think God wants to keep us at arms length.
Perhaps we think He is too busy or there are way more important people and needs to attend to.
Don’ t believe it.
Jesus died to be close to you.
For, If not you,..... then who? Think about that. 
The LORD your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.” 
Zeph. 3:17
Praying we all have a day of knowing the closeness of God’s love for us!
“..let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith,..” Hebrews 10:22

3 comments:

  1. I would say, "It's very strange that you wrote about this topic," but then, why should I be surprised! God is always orchestrating unity between His people. I have been having a discussion with my online Marriage & Family class this week about what sustains a marriage over the long haul. You would be surprised at the number of people who have commented about needing to keep the "feelings of love alive" through "passion." I have had quite a week explaining how those "feelings" have nothing to do with the commitment of God's enduring love...unless we are talking about the "passion" that drove Christ to sacrifice His life for us all! Praise God His love is never-ending and covering us at all times! I love this verse in Zephaniah. I often ask the Lord to "sing over me with His love." He is always there to faithfully oblige! Blessings, Cathy T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Lisa and Cathy T. Love begins and ends with God. Only by and through His love can we properly love others. There is no other way. Praise Him for providing the ultimate demonstration. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your message speaks to my core, Lisa. Commitment! I became a Christian three years into my 35-year marriage. It blew my mind that Jesus could love me after all my past wickedness, as I brought nothing to the table except my commitment to trust Him to forgive me and transform me. The Word of God says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Joshua 1:5; Deut 31:6,8; Hebrews 13:5) I have trusted that all these years even in the midst of feeling alone in horrendous situations in caregiving for family and in struggles with my marriage because of my crazy thinking from a very dysfunctional upbringing. I placed my trust, however, in God's Word, which has kept me committed to stand firm and press on. Feelings or commitment? Commitment on my part has revealed over and over again how much Jesus loves me and how He has guided my marriage to healing. I know first hand that God can take a feelingless marriage and restore it to feelings of trust, love, and happiness with good ole fun with lots of laughter. I thank God who helped me act not on my feelings in the tough times but on my commitment to Him who has healed my marriage. To Him be all the glory and praise! Toni

    ReplyDelete