Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Word of Life

The night that I bowed my head and asked Jesus to forgive my sins and come into my life, there were three very special girls present.
After we prayed and I experienced the inexpressible freedom and joy of the new birth,
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become      new.” 2 Cor. 5:17
one of them looked at me and said in earnest,
“Read your Bible everyday.”
This scene took place in a small meeting room in the girls dormitory at Zion National Park,where a friend and I had gotten summer jobs after high school
That night changed the direction and destination of my life forever; but, 
what has continued to change my heart still thirty one years later, is the Word of God.
I love God’s Word.
It is a blazing beacon of truth. When my soul has a dark night at sea, the light of HIs Word shines brightly; proclaiming peace, hope and security within the fall of its beam.
When my ship gets off course, it illuminates the way, correcting and redirecting me back to safe waters.
When I discovered the reality that there was ABSOLUTE TRUTH in the world, my soul found it’s much longed for resting place.
Searching for answers much of my teen years, dabbling in this and that, subscribing to the notion that there were many paths to God and that what worked for one might not work for another...never comforted my restless and wandering heart.
Encountering Jesus, the God of the Bible, and HIs Word did.
I will say unashamedly, it is the absolute rock of my existence. I seriously could not live without it. 
The other day, I heard a well known, solid Bible teacher commenting about inductive Bible study. As most of you know, that is a method of studying the Bible, verse by verse within the context of the book it was written in.
This technique is far different from picking and choosing verses at random or approaching the Bible with preconceived ideas.
She mentioned how studying inductively takes time and continued on, by sharing that some women had complained to her that they just didn’t have the time for that, stating,”Just tell me what to believe!”
I love her response, 
“Grow up! You are in a battle!”
Amen!
We are in a battle from life’s first breath: but, after we become citizens of the Kingdom, we either stand our ground or advance into new spiritual territory. Retreat is not an option, for victory is ours because of Jesus. 
We wouldn’t dare go into battle without the proper artillery and armor, and such it is in the Christian’s walk.
God’s Word is the essential weapon of mass destruction for taking down strongholds, banishing the lies of the enemy, and marching on with the banner of truth held high.
There are days when I get very overwhelmed with all the things going on around and inside of me.
If it weren’t for the truth of His Word assuring me, reassuring me and giving me the hope that only He gives..I would be left floundering in a sea of dark emotions.
It was about 2:30 a.m. that morning, July 25 when Jesus rescued me. A few short hours afterwards, I walked down the path from my dorm room and into work at the resort restaurant. One of the special girls with me that night was a hostess there and began walking towards me with a box. A package had arrived. For me. It was a Bible.
She had ordered it several days, if not weeks before, but there it was... arriving when I needed it most, on the very first day of my new life.
God’s Word is like that. In the days when you have been left bare, like a faithful friend and a rushing wind, it will come back to you.  It’s powerful truths will punch through the darkness and pierce the painful moments with absolute clarity.
To have it impact and sustain our lives, The Word must be ingested deep into our souls, by our:
Reading it
Understanding it
Applying It
Sharing it
We can’t afford to skip any of these steps in our preparation as soldiers. 
So go on, grab your Bible and may you discover anew or for the first time, the joy of God’s love letter to you today!
“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” Luke 4:4


If you feel led to, post a current favorite passage!
I’ll start, with Psalm 103:
Bless the LORD, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
2  Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
3  Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
4  Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
5  Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
6  The LORD executes righteousness
And justice for all who are oppressed.
7  He made known His ways to Moses,
His acts to the children of Israel.
8  The LORD is merciful and gracious,
Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.
9  He will not always strive with us,
Nor will He keep His anger forever.
10  He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
Nor punished us according to our iniquities.
11  For as the heavens are high above the earth,
So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;
12  As far as the east is from the west,
So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
13  As a father pities his children,
So the LORD pities those who fear Him.
14  For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust.
15  As for man, his days are like grass;
As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
16  For the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
And its place remembers it no more. [fn1]

17
  But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting
On those who fear Him,
And His righteousness to children’s children,
18  To such as keep His covenant,
And to those who remember His commandments to do them.
19  The LORD has established His throne in heaven,
And His kingdom rules over all.
20  Bless the LORD, you His angels,
Who excel in strength, who do His word,
Heeding the voice of His word.
21  Bless the LORD, all you His hosts,
You ministers of His, who do His pleasure.
22  Bless the LORD, all His works,
In all places of His dominion.
Bless the LORD, O my soul!
* We are slowly increasing the dosage on the medicine, please pray with us for no side affects and maximum effectiveness!   

9 comments:

  1. 1 Timothy 3-14But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
    15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
    17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

    Bless you in each moment of every day Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hebrews-
    12 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne

    Staying in the word and our eyes fixed on Jesus, will enable us to finish our individual race. Praying for your treatment and that your body is able to handle the increased medicine. Much love & prayers, JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaiah 40
    28 Have you not known?
    Have you not heard?
    The everlasting God, the LORD,
    The Creator of the ends of the earth,
    Neither faints nor is weary.
    His understanding is unsearchable.
    29 He gives power to the weak,
    And to those who have no might He increases strength.
    30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
    And the young men shall utterly fall,
    31 But those who wait on the LORD
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint.

    Here is a song for you too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZ7yLe5DiU&feature=related

    Praying for all to go well with the increase of your medicine! NO side effects! That the medicine will destroy every cancer cell in your body! Complete Healing! Praying for you around the clock!
    Love and Blessings to you and your family!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading in James the last few days and the "count it all joy when you fall into various trials" is sometimes hard to do. Especially at this Thanksgiving time I would probably not want to put my heart surgery and shoulder surgery on my "thanks God for these trials"! However, I am thankful for all of these things because I was made so much more aware of what is important in my life and how precious each moment of everyday really should be. As simple as being able to attend Saturday evening service and hear your precious husband preach God's word faithfully to me is what I am thankful for today! I will continue to pray for you at all times.


    James 1:2-4

    2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the
    testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work,
    that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

    James 5:13-19

    13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 119:10-21
    With my whole heart have I sought you: O let me not wander from your commandments.Your word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against you.Blessed are you, O LORD: teach me your statutes. With my lips have I declared all the judgments of your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of your testimonies, as much as in all riches. I will meditate in your precepts, and have respect to your ways.I will delight myself in your statutes: I will not forget your word.
    Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live, and keep your word.Open you my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. I am a stranger in the earth: hide not your commandments from me.My soul breaks for the longing that it has to your judgments at all times.You have rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from your commandments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeremiah 32:26-27
    Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah,saying, "Behold I am the Lord,the God of all flesh.Is there anything to hard for Me?

    Isaiah 41:10
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you,I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

    Isaiah 41:13
    For I,the LORD your God, will hold your right hand,Saying to you,‘Fear not,I will help you.’

    Praying & love to you Lisa, Nancy L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, as I meditate on how great our Lord is and how thankful I am today, "I thank my God every time I remember you." Phil 1:3 May God bless you tremendously with healing, strength, endurance, laughter, and with the fact that you are loved by me and John. Love....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lisa,
    we are so glad you are doing better on this drug and want you to know that you and Pastor and your entire family are in our prayers daily! love to you all, Shannon and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Lisa;
    Although we never had the opportunity to get to know each other while I attended Tucson CC, I very much enjoyed the women's bible studies I was able to attend with you.
    I don't know if this will be encouraging or not, but I was diagnosed two years ago with breast cancer. Uggh; I hated the drugs; I never felt sicker in my life. I remember sitting in my recliner; that's about all the energy I could muster; and looking up at God proclaiming; Please; take me home; if I have to do this for a whole year, I'd much rather come home to you. He did not answer that prayer with a yes. :D instead, two years later I find myself healthier than I've been in years. I have more energy, and have a new zest for life. He has blessed me abundantly through this, and I know He will you as well. Thank you for the blog; it's good to keep up with you and see how best I can pray. God bless you as you share your story and obvious love for God in this difficult time.
    KL - Colorado

    ReplyDelete